Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Children Always Notice

Children always seem to notice change in their parents even before the parent notices changes in themselves.  My 12 year old daughter took the time to try to set up my bedroom to be more relaxing to me, because she stated that I seem really sad and sometimes a little snippy since my husband has been on the road. And then my 16 year old said "you know momma she is right." It hurt my feelings not because they said it, but because I realize that they were right. I told myself I was going to make a conscious effort to act the same way I am when my husband is around. I don't want my kids seeing me sad or me being snippy with them, because they deserve the best. I also do not want them to have to feel that they have to take care of me, when it is my responsibility to take care of them. Plus the therapist side of me know that the stress of the parent can cause anxiety and stress for the children. If there are others of you who have had similar experiences please feel free to share in the comment area. I will love to hear from you.

2 comments:

  1. This is so true. In fact, my 5 year old has this sense about me -- whenever I'm feeling bad it's like he knows it and he stays right under me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how they well children pick up on things.

      Delete